February 02, 2016

Looking for internship in the transportation industry?


FreightCenter may be the answer! 
We interviewed our IT intern, Lucas Bendus who's been with the company for six months to get a glimpse into his life as a FreightCenter intern. Read on to learn what it's like to intern for an award-winning logistics company.





What are your duties as an IT intern at FreightCenter?

My duties include taking care of any problems a user could have with their terminals.
Anything from a bad monitor or a broken mouse, to a program that isn't running correctly. One of my biggest projects has been upgrading all of the computers in the office to Windows 10.


What does a project like that consist of?

Basically, I take a computer wipe it clean, upgrade it to Windows 10, and then return the computer to FreightCenter standards by reinstalling all desired programs. I upgrade about four or five users a week. It’s not a difficult process, but it takes some time.


What are some things you’ve learned while interning?

I'm learning tons of different programs. I've also learned how to navigate the corporate
environment - something you don’t learn in school.


How does your internship with FreightCenter affect your schooling/career/etc?

This internship has really shown me what different departments do in practice. This helped
me narrow down what kind of work I want to be doing after I have my degree and what my goals will be in the future. It’s also helped me decide what I should focus my degree on.


What is it like balancing an internship, work and school? How do you make it work?

It’s really just a lot of hard work. I’ve learned that it pays to get things done right away and use your time wisely. I can't say it's been easy, but I'm making the best of it. Luckily, the people at FreightCenter have been very understanding and willing to answer all of my questions.


What else do you hope to get out of your internship?

I've been gaining a lot of experience and learning so many things that school can't teach. I’m really hoping that all of this will make my resume stand out.  


Any advice for students looking for an internship?

If you don't apply yourself, you won't get anywhere! Just get your foot in the door, and if you have the know how, employers will respond. My experience is the perfect example of that. When I applied at FreightCenter they weren’t actively looking for an intern, but I knew I would be an asset so I applied anyway.

0 comments: